Search Blog Content

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Who Did You Want to Be When You Grew Up?

By

Photo: images.sodahead.com
 
When I was young I wanted to be the female equivalent of Gene Kelly, I thought he was amazing and gorgeous to boot!

I loved watching the old musicals with the women wearing dresses to die for, the music, the dancing, the romance, they had it all. I grew up believing that was going to be my life some day. I would sing and dance myself into the arms of someone handsome who would sweep me off my feet and serenade me till dawn. Bliss. Then I grew up - boo!

When you're young anything seems possible, there are no limitations because your brain doesn't seem to have any. If you want to be a nurse, a pilot or the queen then you can. All you have to do is find the correct clothing (mums' old curtains and the tiara she wore at her wedding) and you're the queen. You know exactly how to act and how to treat your royal subjects (little brother) as the newly appointed monarch.

Then the teenage years hit, along with the acne and greasy hair and you start to wonder what an earth's going on? It's during these wonderful years of confusion and self discovery that you're expected to know what you want to do with your life. Isn't getting up for school tough enough?
When I was 15 the unemployment rate was at its highest and I remember my careers teacher telling my class that only 2 out of 30 of us would get a job. You've got to admire the man's optimism! Fortunately I was with a bunch of fairly bright kids and most of us managed to find work. I ended up working in an office, not a super star as originally planned.

My mum and dad were always of the mindset, work hard at school, get a job, settle down and have children. So I did everything according to their plan, not mine. It never occurred to me that there might be more or that there was life beyond Birmingham.

One marriage, three daughters and one divorce later I found myself wanting more out of life. I knew I was a strong person and had a lot more to give so I decided to step out of my comfort zone and apply for an Executive PA role. Not only did I get the job but it turned my life upside down! I got to travel around Europe and meet some amazing people.

Four years ago I felt I had outgrown my role as a PA and decided to take a leap of faith and start working for myself. I asked, 'Who do I want to be?' It turned out I want to be ME. Being ME is helping people to feel fabulous, to feel confident with who they are and to live life to the full. It's like putting the tiara on for real.

Who did you want to be when you grew up? Are you being true to yourself or are you living someone else's plan? Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith and go for the dream regardless of what others expect of you. As Jim Rohn said, "If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much."
My specialty is working with women who want to feel fabulous and happy, helping them to have self belief, giving them the guidance and encouragement that they need to be the person they truly want to be. Visit http://www.margarethamilton.co.uk to make a start on your own life plan.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Margaret_A_Hamilton

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7577395

No comments:

Post a Comment