Search Blog Content

Sunday, February 3, 2013

When You Should Talk To Yourself

By

Photo: img.webmd.com
 
We all have probably talked to ourselves from time to time. We may do it more than we care to admit publicly. Things get really scary when we start answering ourselves. But talking to yourself can be good and beneficial when done for the correct reasons.
Talking to yourself is okay when you're asking yourself any of the following questions:

1. "Is this activity getting me closer to or further away from my goals?" When you go through your day, stop and question yourself about what you're doing. At any point in time that you're awake, you are giving your energy to some activity. Is that activity moving you closer to the life you want? Is it moving you closer to your goals?

2. "What is the purpose to my activity?" If you can't really answer question number one definitively, then why are you doing what you're doing? You may be thinking that everything you do can't have a purpose. I disagree. Your activity can fall into one of several categories: Goal achievement, relationship building, renewal/recharging, creative endeavors, etc. But your activity shouldn't be for purposes of distraction and procrastination. That never got anyone anywhere worth going. Be honest with yourself about why you do what you do.

3. "How can I be more efficient?" When I started observing my actions throughout the day, I identified areas where I wasn't the most efficient with my time. I have been told that it takes 7+ minutes to fully engage in an activity. So every time I would leave something and then come back to it, I lost anywhere from 7-14 minutes total. That could potentially add up to hours in the day. I know I could use some extra hours in my day. Now I have them!

4. "How can I be more effective?" Are you getting the most out of the effort expended? What times of the day are you at your best? I'm at my best in the morning. So I tend to do activities that require my brain power in the morning. It takes a lot less effort than trying to do the same activities at night, when all I can think about is going to sleep. How can you plan your day and activities around your most effective hours?

5. "Are my thoughts productive?" Are you worrying or thinking about something that you can or can't do anything about? If it's something you can't do anything about ever, then you need to move on. If it's something you can't do anything about now, then you need to table the thought until a future time. And lastly, if you can do something about it, think about what that is and then do it!
When you ask yourself these questions, it's okay to answer back. Listen to your answers and make the changes necessary to be more effective, efficient and purposeful with your energy and time.
If you need help being more effective, efficient and purposeful each day, a life coach can help! Kaylene Mathews is the President and owner of KSMLifeCoaching LLC. She offers both personal and group coaching services. Other offerings include PeopleMap assessments and training workshops for individuals, groups and corporate teams in the DFW area. For more information visit: http://ksmlifecoaching.com/
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kaylene_S_Mathews

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7489955

1 comment:

  1. I am really thankful to the author of this post for making this lovely and informative article live here for us. We really appreciate ur effort.Keep up the good work. . . .


    Buy Protandim

    ReplyDelete