Search Blog Content

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Train Your Memory Like a Muscle


By Joshua Noerr
How many times have you met someone a second or third time and they say to you, "Oh I'm sorry, I'm bad with names?" This is a common conversation, but it does not have to be that way. You can be different. You can decide to train your memory and stand out among the masses.
Why would you want to do this? Well, if you are in sales, this will be a huge contributing factor to your own success. Let's be honest with each other here, we are all in sales to some extent. Every day we do things that qualify as selling, and improving your memory will make you better at it than the rest of the pack!
What about life? I am married, and I am constantly given tasks to do, or dates to remember, by my wife. One of her serious points of contention with me was my ability to remember seemingly trivial information yet forget the simplest tasks that she would ask of me. I decided to work on this fault, and I have since improved on my memory in its entirety. It has served to make things much smoother at home.
Have you ever met someone with an amazing ability to remember facts and figures, names and faces, or places and dates? Some people are born with an ability that may make it seem like it comes easily and natural to them, but the reality is that this, like any other skill can be learned. The first step is to stop limiting yourself and your abilities by saying things like, "I am bad with faces." Right there, you are telling your subconscious mind that you are bad, so it has no choice but to continue in this pattern. Decide to day that you ARE good with faces and names, and start to make the change.
The next step is to commit to improving your recall skills. With names, make a habit of saying someone's name to them in conversation at least three times within 15 minutes of meeting them. It will make them feel important, and begin to make you better.
There is much more to training the memory than what I have mentioned here. I decided to take a course in memory and recall techniques, and I strongly urge you to do the same. I will provide a link to the course that was so helpful to me in this article, so that you can begin your path to improvement. I would never suggest something I did not think was beneficial to you. If you would like to use the same course I did, and start improving your memory today, you can navigate to my website, http://www.joshuanoerr.com, and look at my recommendations page.
If you make this great decision today, I congratulate you on a new beginning for many areas of your life. If you do not, what are you waiting for? Start improving your memory right now!
Joshua Noerr is a sales manager and coach based in Atlanta, Georgia. Visit http://www.joshuanoerr.com to learn more or contact Joshua.

No comments:

Post a Comment